Within our indicators and indicator components range you will find products such as retro-fit chip LED lights and panel mount LEDs for an energy efficient solution, as well as the filament lamp models and accessories like lamp holders. Find leading brands such as Marl, Arcoelectric and Oxley, or choose our own RS Pro range for quality and value.
Types of indicators lights and indicator components
Indicator lights also referred to as panel indicators, are usually mounted onto signal condition panels or used as malfunction lights on equipment. There are different lamp types available in a wide range of voltage ratings, colour output and mounting types and sizes:
- LED indicator lights - emit light through an LED lamp using DC current. They're small in size, have a long life cycle and are highly energy efficient.
- Incandescent indicators - can be used with both AC and DC circuits. They use a filament to emit light that electricity flows through, but this can lead to unnecessary heat being generated and lower efficiency.
- Halogen indicator lights - use a combination of inert gas, halogen and a filament to produce light, this results in a brighter light than using given the same energy, ideal for warning lights.
- Fluorescent indicator lights - use fluorescent lamps and usually last longer and are more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs, so are not as commonly used as indicators.
Selecting an indicator light
When considering which indicator light to choose it is important to review a number of factors to select the best product for your needs, including:
- Application and environmental factors
- IP rating
- Mounting style
- Terminal type
- Light output level